Fandom reaches new heights as its games set in the League of Legends Universe reach over 180 Million Monthly Active Users (MAU) globally in October 2021
Today, game developer and publisher Riot Games announced the RiotX Arcane event, a month-long experience that will bring all of its products together to celebrate the launch of Riot’s first animated series, Arcane League of Legends. Players and fans will see in-person and digital cross-media events that evolve with each act of the show throughout the month, along with in-game activations across all of Riot’s titles. The RiotX Arcane event begins today, leading into a Super Weekend of events that feature the League of Legends World Championship and Arcane Premiere.
Riot’s games ecosystem is stronger than ever heading into the month-long celebration and Arcane launch. Over the past decade, more than 600 million people worldwide have played in the League universe. In fact, over 180 million players played in the League universe in the month of October alone — marking an all-time high for the company*.
“With every new step we take, from launching new games to expanding our esports, we’ve always remained focused on bringing players exciting, resonant content that is authentic to the core League of Legends experience,” said Nicolo Laurent, CEO, Riot Games. “Today, there are more players enjoying our games worldwide than ever before, validating our confidence in the League of Legends IP as we begin a new era with the launch of Arcane. Together with players, we want to establish gaming as the center of global entertainment.”
The month-long celebration will kick off with the League of Legends World Championship, which has debuted some of Riot’s most popular music and entertainment experiences. Blending the world of gaming, competition and entertainment, this year’s World Championship Show Open Presented by Mastercard will feature Grammy Award-winning artists Imagine Dragons alongside PVRIS, Bea Miller, JID, and Denzel Curry, who will take players and fans on an Arcane-themed journey through Piltover and Zaun, the dual-city setting for Arcane. The Show Open begins on Saturday, November 6 at 5:00AM PT and will be broadcast on lolesports.com, as well as YouTube and Twitch.
Later that same day, the RiotX Arcane Global Premiere will begin at 5:30PM PT, broadcast globally on Twitch (via the Riot Games channel and Twitch streamers’ channels) and Arcane.com. Taking place at Riot’s headquarters in Los Angeles, the global premiere event will feature an innovative red carpet for media and streamers representing over 30 countries around the world to broadcast the celebration to their global communities. Arcane is the first Netflix series to debut with co-streaming exclusively on Twitch, with content creators on the service able to broadcast themselves watching and reacting to episode one.
All of Riot’s games will launch new Arcane-themed product features and updates throughout the show release. Celebrating the event in their own unique ways, players will see the following updates throughout November, with more in store week-by-week as the show develops:
- League of Legends will be diving deeper into the world of Arcane, releasing free Arcane skins inspired by the show, a variety of thematic updates to Summoner’s Rift, and Preseason 2022 updates. Two new interactive experiences will also be revealed in the coming week!
- Free Arcane-inspired skins for Jayce, Vi, Caitlyn, and Jinx
- Preseason 2022 Update featuring new elemental drakes, items, and runes
- Caitlyn Art & Sustainability Update
- Map accents on Summoner’s Rift and more!
- League of Legends: Wild Rift features new ways to play, bringing two popular champs, daily login rewards, free skins inspired by Arcane, and showcasing Piltover’s most iconic rivalries.
- Arcane Experience in-game event
- Arcane Jinx and Vi skins available free through daily login rewards
- Jayce and Caitlyn’s long-awaited release in the Hextech Heist event
- Themed weeks in Guild vs Guild, including Jinx vs Vi
- Legends of Runeterra will celebrate with the release of a permanent new game mode that enables players to journey through Runeterra as their favorite champions, including a special series of storyful adventures in Piltover and Zaun featuring Jinx & co.
- The release of a new permanent PvE mode, The Path of Champions
- New Champion: Jayce
- Thematic support cards from Piltover & Zaun
- Mega Event Pass
- Teamfight Tactics will keep the Gizmos & Gadgets party going with an all-new game mode, and some small surprises with a BIG impact.
- Gizmos & Gadgets set release
- Arcane-themed Tacticians including the introduction of new Chibi Champions
- A new Double Up mode for you to play with your friends
- VALORANT: Our agents of future Earth are also fans of League and will be celebrating the moment with Arcane cosmetics and bundles so you can deck yourself out in prep for Episode 3 Act 3.
- Free RiotX Arcane Pass
- Free in-game Collectible Items
- In-game Arcane Collector’s Set
- New Agent: Chamber
“To create an experience around the launch of Arcane, we started with our games, the origin of the IP,” said Sarah Schutz, Head of Riot Experience (XP), Riot Games. “We hope we’ve created an event that encourages players to celebrate Arcane in their own unique and meaningful ways, as a global community, in and around the games they love.”
The World of RiotX Arcane event hub, a digital event companion for players to explore alongside the show, is also now available. Evolving week-over-week with new information, players can embark on a narrative adventure and solve missions to earn in-game rewards. Rewards go live beginning on November 7, with additional in-game rewards becoming available starting November 15. Prime Gaming rewards are available from November 1 to November 30.
Fans and players tuning in to the RiotX Arcane Global Premiere will receive the following Twitch Drops, in-game rewards given to people watching the event:
- A Single Tear Emote (League of Legends: Wild Rift)
- Arcane Capsule (League of Legends)
- Fishbones Gun Buddy (VALORANT)
- Gizmos & Gadgets Little Legends Egg (Teamfight Tactics)
- Jayce Emote (Legends of Runeterra)
*Games set in the League of Legends Universe defined as League of Legends, League of Legends: Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics and Fight for the Golden Spatula (licensed in China). MAU measured as global monthly active player accounts across these titles for the calendar month of October 2021.
About Riot Games
Riot Games was founded in 2006 to develop, publish, and support the most player-focused games in the world. In 2009, Riot released its debut title, League of Legends, to worldwide acclaim. League has gone on to be the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. As League enters its second decade, Riot continues to evolve the game while delivering new experiences to players with Teamfight Tactics,Legends of Runeterra, VALORANT, League of Legends: Wild Rift, and multiple work-in-progress titles, while exploring the world of Runeterra through multimedia projects across music, comic books, TV, and more. Riot has also launched a publishing group, Riot Forge, to collaborate with third-party developers on additional games set in the League universe. Founded by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill and led by CEO Nicolo Laurent, Riot is headquartered in Los Angeles, California, and has 3,000 Rioters in 20+ offices worldwide. Follow Riot Games on social media at @riotgames.
About Arcane League of Legends
Netflix and Riot Games bring the global phenomenon League of Legends franchise to television with the animated event series Arcane. The series will also be available on Tencent Video in China and marks Riot Games’ first series for television. Set in Riot’s globally popular League of Legends IP, Arcane is an animated series developed and produced by Riot Games in partnership with Fortiche Productions. Follow Arcane on social media at @arcaneshow.